General Discussion - Business of Hypnosis
 Recording CD's and Audio Cassettes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  04:30:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From: Mindfull (Original Message) Sent: 9/2/2002 12:04 PM

I would like to make quality cassettes or CD's for my clientele. Currently, I am using a dual cassette boom box with a built-in mic that's about a 100 years old. Amazingly, the sound quality is pretty good. However, it's time to look into 21st century technology that is simple to use and under $500. What I want is to incorporate a CD or audio tape of background music while at the same time recording my voice to a cassette or CD. Then, when I've got a good master, I want to duplicate it myself (dual cassette and CD-RW). Would be extra nifty if I could mix in reverb, echo and other sound effects (though not necessary - the main thing is a quality, professional-sounding recording.).

What components do you use? Have not seen any posts on this. All replies greatly appreciated!

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  04:31:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Nick Kemp (www.human-alchemy.co.uk) does most of his stuff on PC using Cool-Edit Pro and Acid Pro - he does get it digitally mastered when he is done on the creative stuff. There are some MP3's on his site of his work to give you an idea of quality (excellent IMO).

Although he does use a decent PC, pre-amp, mic and some very nice guitars <g> as well as some other musical whizzwhangs in boxes, my own experiments lead me to believe you can achieve very professional results with a half decent soundcard in your PC, a half-decent mic (my Shure all-purpose microphone cost me less than £30 and jacks straight into the sound card) and some basic software - if you can stretch to it, Coold Edit is great, Sonic Foundry's Acid Pro and Sound Forge are great (and demo's are available), but you can find a wealth of shareware and freeware that will do reasonable jobs. Then burn your resulting file yourself direct to CD.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  04:31:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Have been looking at the same issue myself. My friends who are into making their own music suggest the most versatile and easy to work with is MP3. I am to look into this further soon and will let you know how I go. If anyone else has experience with creating stuff using MP3, and has any advice please respond.

Crash
Go to Top of Page

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  04:32:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote

In general, composition and editing needs to be done in WAV or similar format. MP3 is a "lossy" compression format - it loses redundant/unnecessary information (a bit like JPG for pictures) - this means that if you repeatedley work on it (edit) and save, you lose data and quality.

If you want to produce good quality audio, first produce in WAV or similar. Then, if you want to save to CD, a standard CD burn application will produce a CD quality CD, from which you can also record to tape if you want to. If you want to distribute across the net, then there are many freeware applications that will readily convert your (admittedley rather large) WAV file to good quality MP3.

Many audio applications will let you use your PC as a multi track, so you can create you audio background (music, binaural drone/beat, whatever) and then lay your script down as a seperate track(s) - something like Acid Pro will let you do this and then, if you made your audio script in several sections, move your audio script around like a word processor.

Adam
Go to Top of Page

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  04:32:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Adam,

Can you please answer the following for me.

When you burn a .wav file to your CD can that be directly played on any CD player, or do you have to save it to some other special format?

Approximately how long can your .wav file be (amount of recorded spoken word time in minutes) to fit on a standard CD-R?

If you multi-track, does this use up more space, thus reducing the length of recording you can fit on a CD?

Thanks for the advice,

Crash
Go to Top of Page

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  04:33:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Thanks to all of you that responded to my post about your recommendations for making CD's and audio tapes. So appreciated! Looks like using my computer is a good way to go. And, I see Philips is making mini shelf systems that have a 3 CD player, CD-RW, and a dual cassette deck. Might just put one of those to work as well and get rid of my boom box dinosaur. That way, I feel have the bases covered with more flexibility. Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page

nick kemp

21 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2005 :  04:53:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit nick kemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I missed this thread and I didn't know Adam was here either! <grin> IMO there are two ways to go with this, either record to CDRs which can now look very similar to CDs, but make sure you avoid using labels as these can jam a CD transport, better to print to CD. The advantage of CDRs is that you can do small runs. The fully glass mastered CD front means pressing a minimum of 500 CDs at any one time and this is the way to go if you are doing volume orders. Also make sure you have barcodes on all CD covers and ISBN numbers if this is going into stores! I have posted some articles on recording at www.human-alchemy.com as this is a subject I get asked a lot about! There are also samples of my stuff on the same site and my CDs can be found on all amazon, Wal Mart and Barnes and Noble online sites!
Go to Top of Page

Dwayne

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  7:40:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I been using a karoaki machine to make up my tapes,now I am thinking about adding a mixing board, so I just trying to find one that will work with my equipment.
Go to Top of Page

Matrixman

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  8:07:22 PM  Show Profile  Send Matrixman a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Hi

A Nice bit of kit of using with your PC is Cool edit pro, is a PC studio, and you can transfer any file format and turn it into any other format, you can even extrapolate, audio from DVDs, or and any video format, and turn it in to MP3 or any other audio file format. Plus you can edit, add sound effects run left and right channels, so you can create duel induction, programmes. Its does have a bit of a price tag, yet it is really cool to use. And it would be worth looking at.

You can even plug in a tape recorder, in to you PC MIC port and turn your old tapes in to MP3s etc.

Jay
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
HypnosisOnline.NETwork © 2000-05 Snitz Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

What the mind can conceive... the body can achieve.

HypnosisOnline.com a division of TeleComputers Services

Link List

© 2007 HypnosisOnline.com  All rights reserved.       Design & Hosting by TeleSites.net - Set your sites here!

Keywords: hypnosis online hypnotherapy referral listing database forum blog book store CD CD-ROM Audio Programs tapes MP3 instant download weblog networking book of scripts hypnosis scripts therapist scripts school training guild associations therapist weight loss books glossary hypnotist psychotherapy nlp trance huna links papers mesmerize relaxation suggestion meditation sleep hypnosis FAQs affirmations visualization self help meditate trace mesmerism network classifieds hypnotism hypnoblog message board Background Music sponsor advertise hypnosites

Copyright TELEsites.net © 2007