General Discussion - Business of Hypnosis
 how the successful practices do it
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  10:15:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From: James Schaper (Original Message) Sent: 12/12/1999 11:35 AM

I'm fairly new to the profession. I've had my office for a year now and am working on it part time. I've always wondered how the successful practices do it without advertising. Did they perhaps advertise in the beginning then stop once word of mouth took over? I've been in business in another area where advertising was necessary and rarely supported itself so I'm not a fan of ads. I was spending three thousand a month and had little choice. People do need to know though. I've joined networking groups but that is so one-sided. My greatest success so far has been with coupling to another business's customer base. I tell my clients about their services and they tell theirs about mine. We trade flyers but no money changes hands. I like that kind of advertising (free). I'm in no hurry and let it build as it will but I think an injection is due at this point. I've heard good things about weekly market journal types of publications. I'd be interested in hearing others opinions.

Jim

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  10:15:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Excellent topic. Thank you for getting us all started on "Marketing your business."

One way to increae your visibility and improve referrals, I have found, is to join a local barter group. many times the bartered services can pay off big in the long run with success stories from happy clients who in turn tell others of your services. Usually the "others" are not part of the barter network, but are paying customers.

Go to Top of Page

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  10:16:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Are these barter groups similar to the LETTS schemes and Skills Exchanges run in the UK?
Go to Top of Page

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  10:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote

In the US these Barter groups are legit businesses that allow trade through their company in barter dollars. I am not familiar with the ones you have mentioned but there are many that have web sites online.

Good Luck,

HypnoDoc

Go to Top of Page

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  10:16:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Sounds like a similar thing, except that the Letts schemes are community co-operatives where individuals exchange their skills for those of others in the scheme.

The units are of time spent rather than value of skill (eg an hour of accountancy is the same value as an hour of plumbing).

Sorry to have gone slightly off topic on this, but V interested in how these things work around the world.

Go to Top of Page

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  10:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote

From experience advertising only works if you have identified a market and can be certain that your advert will reach that market.

I would suggest that you analyse what services you provide, who is likely to make use of them and how you are most likely to contact them before you start paying out money on adverts.

The most loyal clients are referrals, so why not build a database of clients, and make sure they get communications asking how they are getting on. If they remember you they might just remember to tell a friend.

Go to Top of Page

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  10:17:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote

My best success is from advertizing. Testimonials work best. It is expensive, but it works. I have also made up flyers for weight loss and posted them on ladies restroom stall doors in office buildings. I have also spoken for clubs like Rotary and Kiwanas. have also run 'coupons' for weight loss programs. All have worked, the testimonials work the best. I have discovered, that if you want to stay in this business you must advertize. I get referrals, but not near enough to pay the monthly bills.
Go to Top of Page

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  10:17:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote

I feel that a very important place for new and previous clients, that have forgotten your name, is a good ad in the yellow pages of, at least, your local phone directory. What do you think?
Go to Top of Page

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  10:18:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Marketing is one of my favorite topics. I own The Hypnosis Center, Inc. near Minneapolis/St. Paul. We are quite busy doing over 1500 sessions a year (I am not the only therapist here). We use yellow pages and have a very nice location in a small shopping center. One of our greatest marketing suprises has been the success of our web site. Stop by and check it out, www.hypnosiscenter.com. We receive clients locally and also students who come to use from all across the country. I am a certified hypnotherapy instructor and developer of the 5-PATH system.

Cal Banyan, MA, CI

Go to Top of Page

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  10:18:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote

"Location, location, location," as someone once said. The Shopping Center right next door to the grocery store, bagel shop, ice cream parlor and hair salon. That is too perfect.
Go to Top of Page

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  10:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Re Advertising.

In local Newspapers - I have found this to be useless.In local Fitness Centres - This has been very good.

Some Hypnotherapists claim that they can 'cure' almost everything in their ads.....I know we can help most people who come to us, but a long list can reduce Creditability, don't you agree?.

I always tell potential clients that I will not take them on if I think I cannot help them get better, because I do not want them going around saying "I went to see David Charles and he was useless!". I also make great play of the necessity for them to WANT to get better.

As far as Location is concerned. What did Henry Ford say "Give the public what it wants and it will beat a path to your door".

(I know he also said "You can have any color as long a sit is black!).

Good luck to every one who is out there helping people to live Happy Lives.......I love to see my clients get better.

David

Go to Top of Page

ForumMaster

USA
530 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2003 :  10:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit ForumMaster's Homepage  Reply with Quote
W
hen my ex-husband and I started up our practice we used leaflet drops. A leaflet (A5 size) was designed by the people who trained us, we chose an area of approximately 50,000 households. The leaflets were delivered in the local free newspaper at a cost of £8 per thousand, to 5,000 households per week, on a rotating basis. We got a positive response of four to five per thousand and usually gained one client per thousand.

Apparently a lot of people glance at the leaflet/flyer the first time it comes through their door, put it to one side the next, and act on it the third.

One unscrupulous <G> hypnotist I knew once used to advertise in the local paper that he could help with - stopping smoking, phobias, swimming and many other problems. Then he would ring up the newspaper and tell them off for putting swimming instead of slimming, and get the next week's advert for free! lol.

PS I am in the UK, but (for a variety of reasons) haven't practiced for about 10 years.

Go to Top of Page

mike michaels

122 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  7:21:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi
This is all really interesting.
I think that the location of your office is very important,
Passing trade beats advertising and word of mouth always
generates business.
If you work from home ----forget it
People expect to see a professional person in the correct environment
Always like to help
Mike
Go to Top of Page

GildaR

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2003 :  12:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello,
I'm new in this forum, and I think this is a really interesting subject! I'm Studying Hypnotherapy and I will finish in December, I just finished NLP,and for obvious reasons I need to know how to advertise, I'm an ex-ballet dancer and teacher, and I had a successful ballet Academy in the past with more than 200 students, and I can say that both things, adverts and referrals worked well, but now, I'm living in UK and starting a new life, but seems that now that I'm almost in the end of the career I'm confused in where and how to start because I've been reading that to work from home doesn't work, and seems like you need a lot of money to rent a space in a well located area and lots and lots of adverts..How can I start with no so much $$$?
Thank you in advance for replays!
Gilda

Gilda Ribeiro
Go to Top of Page

mike michaels

122 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2003 :  1:28:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gilda
Find for example a local factory.
Advertise on the notice board your area of expertise.
Ask the management if they would allow you to use a spare room e.g twice a week.
Mention to the management that workers without problems or with problems cured are better for productivity.
This way we help each other
AND we get your business kick started
Go to Top of Page

GildaR

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2003 :  2:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Mike, your suggestion was a really good idea!
Gilda..

Gilda Ribeiro
Go to Top of Page

Terry

Canada
63 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2003 :  7:36:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gilda, no need to open an office, the costs would be so high that you would need to charge a very high price to the clients, many of whom would be unable to use your services due to such costs.
Instead, offer your services as a speaker to groups raising funds for charity. They provide the space, you get to advertise face to face with hundreds of possible clients, and you prove that you have the skills to assist them by what you say, and how well you answer questions. Arrange for a coffee service to be provided at the end of the evening, and use this to circulate and pass out business cards to those who ask for them. You should get one or two out of every ten cards passed out, and many of them will be from people who were not at the meeting, but had cards passed to them by those who were present, and were impressed by you. You should make it clear that you use your home as an office in order to save your clients money, since all extras must come out of their pockets. That will get them I know as all of the successful members of HSA have worked from their homes and advertised in this way. Terry
Go to Top of Page

mike michaels

122 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2003 :  08:36:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You live in Birmingham--England
Use my previous idea in say 10 locations a week,say morning and afternoon and soon you will be very successful.
Your location is ideal
Go to Top of Page

Mr C

8 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  3:45:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys,
I found when I was starting, going to the clients homes was a great idea, got alot of business from phobics and anxiety disorders, since they never left home, word got round that I would go to them, also, it's easier to get someone to relax in their own enviroment with the added benifits of couple counselling using certain rooms in the house etc Ü
Go to Top of Page

Dwayne

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2006 :  8:28:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Word of mouth and Testimonials work great. I also pass out a lot of business cards.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
HypnosisOnline.NETwork © 2000-05 Snitz Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000

What the mind can conceive... the body can achieve.

HypnosisOnline.com a division of TeleComputers Services

Link List

© 2007 HypnosisOnline.com  All rights reserved.       Design & Hosting by TeleSites.net - Set your sites here!

Keywords: hypnosis online hypnotherapy referral listing database forum blog book store CD CD-ROM Audio Programs tapes MP3 instant download weblog networking book of scripts hypnosis scripts therapist scripts school training guild associations therapist weight loss books glossary hypnotist psychotherapy nlp trance huna links papers mesmerize relaxation suggestion meditation sleep hypnosis FAQs affirmations visualization self help meditate trace mesmerism network classifieds hypnotism hypnoblog message board Background Music sponsor advertise hypnosites

Copyright TELEsites.net © 2007